Saturday, March 26, 2011

Book REview 5- The Great Gatsby

The Great GatsbyThe Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Danica A.

1-24-11

English I

Mr. Williams



Book Review 5- The Great Gatsby

by: F. Scott Fitzgerald



The Beginning

Let me just start by saying that this was by far the most confusing book I have ever read. It was still a pretty good book though. So, when I read the first chapter I was like, " Oh this seems easy! I know all the words so far." Pretty soon it turned into this, "WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH THIS BOOK?! Who's saying what, who's who, and what just happened?" This kept playing through my head like a broken record. It just droned on and on without stopping. It was horrifying. Then I decided maybe it isnt how the book is written, it's how I physically read it. Turns out, reading it off the computer was more difficult to read than reading it from a physical book. The first few chapters were now bearable to read instead of dreadful.



The End

This part of the book just got 100x better because I can go back and re-read what happened so I fully understood what's going on.It actually wasn't so bad reading these chapters. To my disbelief, I was starting to get into this book. What this book had a lot of was symbolism in it. For example in the book Nick Carraway says, "I thought of Gatsby's wonder when he first picked out the green light at the end of Daisy's dock. He had come a long way to this lawn and his dream must have seemed so close that he could hardly fail to grasp it. He did not know that it was already behind him..."(Fitzgerald 120). Nick says this at the very last page in the book. After Gatsby dies and all. Nick reflects on this past summer with this quote. It kind of summarized the whole book actually. Nick was trying to say that Gatsby was hoping for something that will never come. That dream that is unattainable. Daisy was Gatsby's green light in this book. Another quote that stood out for me was when Nick talked about the morals he has grown up with. "Reserving judgements is a matter of infinite hope." (Fitzgerald 2). This quote means that he will keep his views of others to himself in hopes that the person will change. In hopes that he wouldn't have to tell that person. But keeping it to yourself might take forever because not everybody can change.



Total Review

Very educational and suprisingly good book. It made me feel smart reading this type of literature because I don't usually read a lot of those. This was my first time ever reading a truely classic book. I liked it. Very powerful book that taught me a lot of things that went on in the 20's. How people were like. How life was. All in all, I would most definitely recommend this book to someone. Four out of five is my rating for this book.







View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment